8 Ways to Celebrate Your Original Wedding Date – DaVinci Bridal Blog
No matter why you had to wait, don’t let your original wedding day pass by. Celebrate with one of our 8 Ways to Celebrate Your Original Wedding Date.
You’re not alone when it comes to a postponed wedding, but knowing that does not make it easier to handle. When your original Big Day Date comes around, you’re bound to feel a lot of emotions—confused, sad, overwhelmed. Maybe even angry, which is also OK!
But someway, somehow, find a way to honor that wonderful day. It won’t be what you spent time & energy planning but we guarantee—you’ll be happier if you choose to honor the day in spite of unfortunate circumstances.
8 Ways to Celebrate Your Original Wedding Date: Ceremony Ideas
Have a “Minimony”
Minimony is the new buzzword for a mini-ceremony. You can keep all the sentiment while still keeping everyone safe.
- Choose a traditional venue to get married
- Or get married at home or in the backyard
- Invite up to 10 in-person guests (or whatever is allowed)
- Include an officiant either live or virtual
- First dance outside or in your living room
- Say vows specially personalized for the day
- Incorporate details or elements of your original theme
NOTE: This won’t be a legal wedding but it does celebrate your love and devotion to one another. Just have the legal wedding at a later date.
- Get dressed up
- Recite your vows
- Have the commitment ceremony with a tiny in-person crowd or
- Host a larger virtual get-together
Say Your Original Vows: Either Commitment Ceremony or Minimony
You don’t need a formal venue to say your heartfelt vows to each other. Consider something creative like this “Happy Would Be Wedding Day” card:
- Mail these to friends with a note
- Use them as invitations to a virtual wedding—or a minimony
- Write your vows inside to read to each other
TIP: Again, this won’t be a legal wedding unless you have an officiant, but they’re the perfect keepsake. You can even use them again in your formal wedding!
8 Ways to Celebrate Your Original Wedding Date: Dress Up for Photos
Wear dressy duds
You don’t need to wear gowns & tuxedos, but it’ll feel more like a wedding if you dress up at least a little.
- Suit with dress shoes
- Sport coat, dress pants, good shoes—and a tie!
- Your original wedding dress—or—dress up a pretty outfit with details from your original wedding day look:
- Wear white or a version of white
- Wear your veil or headpiece
- Wear or carry an original wedding accessory
- Carry a mini-version of your original bouquet in either fresh flowers or a silk keepsake
Or Wear “Something Blue” all over:
- Get married in a blue dress
- Add your veil if you wish
- Carry a mini-version of your original bouquet in fresh flowers or
- Order a silk bouquet that’s different from the original to go with your new outfit
Fun Silk Flower Ideas:
- Display the silk bouquet in your home in a vase or as a centerpiece or
- Use the silk bouquet as your “throw away” bouquet at your big wedding reception down the road
8 Ways to Celebrate Your Original Wedding Date: Create a Beautiful Setting
Do Get Flowers!
If you want fresh flowers to carry:
- Order a mini version of your bouquet
- Or get a single bloom of the main flower in your bouquet
- Order a small bouttoniere for him
- Order a pretty centerpiece for the table
- Keep it simple by getting bundles of baby’s breath & DIY a setting with a baby’s breath bouquet then arrange baby’s breath & candles for an “alter” & on the food table
Alternative: Use our Silk Flower Ideas from the “What to Wear” section
Inside Setting: Borrow Greenery—Use Plants
- Move all your houseplants into one place
- Rent or borrow large ferns—or get fake tree—to fill out the space
- Get potted plants like mums & seasonal hanging baskets that you can use outside
- Let friends & family send you decorations
Have a Photo Shoot
Even if you’ll have fancy photos down the road, savor the moment & take pictures of everything:
- Your attire
- The food
- A picture of your vows on paper—or those pretty cards
- Pix of your drive-by wedding procession
Professional photo options:
- Pro-quality sessions using FaceTime
- In-person shoots that follow social distancing & group guidelines
8 Ways to Celebrate Your Original Wedding Date: Gifts & Guests
Have a Drive-By Wedding Procession
- Decorate your front porch
- Ask friends to drive through your neighborhood
- Decorate the cars
- Honk the horns
- Have them take pictures
- Get a banner!
Open a Wedding Present (or Two)
If you’ve already received gifts—or if your friends decided to get you a few things from your registry ahead of time—open a few & put them to good use now:
- Dinnerware or china
- A monogrammed gift
- Something you really do need for the kitchen
NOTE: Don’t forget thank you cards! Use those pretty “Happy Original Wedding Date” cards.
8 Ways to Celebrate Your Original Wedding Date: Food!
Have a Fancy Meal Together
- Order a feast of all your favorite takeout meal items
- Support a fancier restaurant & get a carryout steak, lobster or other specialty meal
- Pop a bottle of champagne
- Create a custom cocktail—or make the one your caterer already had planned
Throw a Virtual Cocktail Hour
- Schedule a Zoom call or Google Hangout
- Tell them it’s BYOC (Bring Your Own Cocktails)
- Have a toast—or a few!
Splurge Champagne Toast Idea:
- Order a case of champagne splits
- Leave the case on your porch or front door
- Have each couple or pair of guests collect their bottle
- On “The Big Alternative Day” everybody pops the cork—where they are!
Mini Wedding Cake or Cupcakes
- Order a small version of your original cake from the bakery
- Have them create just the top layer—or—a slightly larger version if you’re having in-person guests
- Order cupcakes—or—make your own!
- Do The Cake Smash!
8 Ways to Celebrate Your Original Wedding Date: Throw a Not-Your-Regular-Reception
Kick Things Off with a Drive-by Ceremony
- Invite everyone to drive on over—no limits if they keep a distance
- Have the ceremony outside
- Do your dance outside
- Do anything else you’d like—cut a cake outside, do a toast
- Retire inside & call everybody up on Zoom
Throw a Virtual Game Night
- Cards Against Humanity
For the Cyber-Savvy:
First Dance … then … Dance Party!
- Move your furniture out of the way
- Light a candle
- Have your first dance in the living room
- Use the iTunes, albums or mix you had planned for your reception
- Invite everyone to dance the night away with you
Need—or want—to stream your wedding? For everything you need to know, just Click HERE or on the image below for our Virtually Plan & Livestream Your Wedding How-to Guide:
For a gorgeous pared down minimalist but still very wedding dress look, Click HERE or on the image below for our 14 Simple & Elegant Informal Wedding Dresses: